Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Most interesting walk home so far!

Today we had no class because there was a workshop for teachers.  It was really nice because I had time to work on my ceramics box (which is looking pretty cool) and practice piano (I've basically got both hand parts down!).  It was a very relaxed day.  Chloe, Whitney, and I went to the vegetarian restaurant close to campus.  I think here in Ecuador, vegetarian=chinese.  The two vegetarian restaurants I've been to have both been chinese. But I'm not complaining!
I had planned on taking a taxi back to my house because Quito was actually pretty warm today and I wore an outfit that was definitely for fall weather. But then a bus was waiting for me so I decided to just save the extra dollar a taxi would cost me and walk up my hill.  Glad I did; it was an interesting walk.  First, I contemplated asking the Christian center by my house if I could practice on their piano, but it's gated so I decided to keep walking (I have this internal conversation almost everyday...).  As I was leisurely strolling, the guard that always makes sure to get my attention when I walk by was on my side of the street. So we shook hands and he gave me a kiss on the check.  It was vaguely awkward, although I'm pretty sure it was only awkward for me.  However, now I'm pretty sure if he was around and I was getting robbed, he would come to my rescue for sure!
Then when I got to my house, my grandfather's friend was there and we had a nice long conversation.  I only didn't understand one thing he was asking. But a lot of the time, people ask questions in the oddest ways. I feel like I understand the first part of the question and then they add a second half that just confuses me so I never know whether to just answer the first and ignore the part I don't understand.  And most of the time, it turns out that the first part is really what they're asking.  It was pretty fun. I love having conversations with new Ecuadorians.  And I love practicing my Spanish!
Lots of homework to catch up on before I head out for the night (Ladies Night as usual, you know it's bad when your host family knows you're going out because it's wednesday, but I'm not complaining!).

No comments:

Post a Comment