Sunday, February 12, 2012

How I love Ecuadorian Weekends

This friday I went to my friend's house for a huasipichai (the quichua word for house-warming party). Tricia taught English in the valley near Quito last semester and loved it so much that now she's going to USFQ for four years! She just got her own little house, it's very cute and even has llamas in the back! I met some great ecuadorians, so that was a nice change of pace from all the gringos I meet.
Then next day we went to Tricia's old valley and saw Star Wars in 3D.  It was the only movie playing at the convenient time, but I ended up enjoying it more than I thought I would.  The bus home took us to a station we'd never been to, but we figured it out and made it home safely! The buses are so cheap, generally $0.25 or for long trips $1 an hour.  Nothing like Chicago's $2.25!
Then today (Sunday) I had to take some photos for my photography class. I headed down to the park 15 minutes from my house and took photos of the bike plaza thing.  I talked to a little kid named Carlos, he was so cute.  On the way back my taxi driver talked to me about Whitney Houston, the debt in the US, Canada (I think he said something about moving there...), and Europe.  I'm not sure quite how I feel because about 30 seconds after I got in, he asked me where in the US I was from.  And here I thought I was getting so good at blending. Hopefully it's my blue eyes and not my Spanish...
Now I'm just trying to study for French, which is not going very well.  I think I've forgotten how to study...

No comments:

Post a Comment