Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Just Speaking Spanish

It's been really nice this week because I'm really starting to feel at home here in Ecuador.  The bus is something I kind of look forward to, I'm starting to get addicted to things I can't get in the US, and many times when I'm talking my Spanish just flows.  That's the thing I'm most excited about.  I notice it most when I'm talking with my family at dinner.  It's still a little punchy and I always wonder how I sound to my family, but overall I can tell it's improving.  I know I'm going to miss speaking Spanish when I return, and I can tell there are some phrases I will definitely probably blurt out without thinking (chuta, que chevere, achachay, and more).  I also find myself repeating Spanish phrases in my head a lot, and spelling words in the Spanish way (aka ph=f and a lot less repeated letters ex: clases=classes).  Ironically, living in Ecuador is going to make my English spelling a lot worse.  And then factor in that I'm trying to learn French as well.
Speaking of bringing things back to the US, I definitely want to bring the Carnaval celebration back, so Bellarmine be ready for some foam next Mardi Gras! I also think the relationship that the indigenous have with the land is very interesting especially when they offer the first sip of their drink to Pachamama.  I'm going to probably try and do this somehow! I'm definitely going to try to cook some Ecuadorian food, especially the ají (it's a sauce they generally have with everything) because I always put too much on all of my food because I love it so much!  Also I'm thinking about buying a ton of guanabana frozen juice packets and taking them back with me.  It's the best juice I've had in my life!
I have a lot of homework (not a ton due tomorrow, but in the upcoming days) and so I'm trying to do it while watching a movie (I picked Sophie's Choice, probably not the best, but everyone's all over Meryl Steep right now). My friends and I thought about going to Trivia tonight (they have it every Tuesday in an American bar and the proceeds go to Charity, it's a really fun time) but we all had so much to do and we want to go out tomorrow night to see a friend play with his band.
Hasta Luego!
P.S. I've added some photos from my trip to Salasaca to my facebook, so head over to check them out! ( https://www.facebook.com/nnelson1129 )

No comments:

Post a Comment