Thursday, February 2, 2012

Flight, boat, bus, boat, Rainforest! Boat, bus, boat, flight Quito!

Sorry for the absence, I went to the jungle and then have been super busy since my return!
Tiputini, a biodiversity station in the lowland Amazonian rainforest, was AMAZING! I saw some many beautiful and interesting animals, plants, and insects.  After the 10 hour trip into the rainforest, we went for a swim in the Tiputini River, it was perfect! The next day we woke up bright and early (breakfast is at 6:30AM every morning).  My guide Santiago (who was the greatest!) took us to the canopy.  We ascended about 100 feet onto the tops of the trees.  We had to wear harnesses and walk across some very wobbly bridges.  The view was gorgeous, and we even same some Macaws (which is probably one of the coolest things I've even seen).  We spent most of our days walking through the rainforest, Santiago suddenly spotting wildlife or plants and explaining them.
Some of my favorite parts of the trip were the 5 types of monkeys we saw, the ants that tasted like lemons, the canoe that almost tipped and constantly had to have water bucketed out and got stuck for a good five minutes (but we also saw bats and a caiman), floating down a tributary to a tributary of the Amazon River (it totally had piranhas and caiman in it, thankfully I'm still alive!), the monkeys at the hotel who jumped on me and stole my fruit, and the great views from the canopy!
It was a fantastic trip that I will never forget!
Back to normal Quito life now, meeting lots of people, making travel plans (I really hope to go to Machu Picchu over spring break and a beach for Carnival).  I'm just trying to keep up with classes, which is hard with my lack of productivity in this beautiful city!  Tonight I'm going to salsa lessons with some friends and I'm quite excited!
I'll try to keep up with this a little more from now on!
P.S. Here's the link to my facebook photo album ( https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150575999858112.402644.519123111&type=3 )

No comments:

Post a Comment