Thursday, February 23, 2012

The one day I forget my umbrella!

I was halfway down my street when I realized I forgot my umbrella in my other bag.  I looked at the sky and thought to myself, "looks like rain...", but I didn't have time to go back.  I was headed to the clinic because my ear was hurting more than last week and now my throat was not too pleasant.  The clinic was as usual aka a lot of people and a lot of waiting (but it's not too bad, I just expect to be there at least an hour).  After the doctor checked out my ears (still nothing wrong with the one that hurts) and throat, he told me I had a throat infection and prescribed me Amoxicillin, Claricot (the same stuff I took last week), and Ibuprofen (thankfully I already have a lot because it's a bit expensive here!). So hopefully I'll be all better soon!
Today as I was waiting for a class to begin, I was sitting in the hammocks on campus.  A group of asians walked by and stopped in front of me, then I noticed one was taking a photo so I just smiled.  I don't know what it is about me being in Ecuador but I am in a lot of photos I will never see.
During my Cultura class there was an electronic music concert outside (I had seen an advertisement for it earlier) and we all tried to convince the professor that it was very pertinent to Ecuadorian culture.  It didn't work so we just had to listen to it through the open windows.
Now back to why the umbrella mattered today.  I usually carry it with me everywhere I go because one never knows when it's going to rain in Quito.  So as I get on the bus to head home, it starts to rain and I think how lovely my walk home is going to be.  I got off my first bus and walked to the next station and by the time I got there my shoes were soaked and my hair was starting to turn into little curlycues.  However, thankfully by the time I reached my hill it was only sprinkling and the sun was shinning.  So overall it wasn't the worst day to get caught without an umbrella!
I've noticed something about Quito: I don't think they have lawnmowers.  I've seen parks people mowing entire parks with weed wackers, and one day I saw my neighbor mowing his lawn with a machete.  That was interesting.
I'm heading to Salasaca tomorrow morning with my Andean Anthropology class, 8AM is not sounding fun to me but other than that, I'm quite excited the excursion! I should be back Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment